What is Habitat for Humanity?
A nonprofit, Christian housing ministry.
We believe that every person should have a decent, safe and affordable place to live.
- We build and repair houses all over the world using volunteer labor and donations.
- Our partner families purchase these houses through low-interest mortgage loans or innovative financing methods.
How does it work?
- Through volunteer labor and donations.
- Homeowners invest hundreds of hours of their own labor into building their Habitat house and the houses of others.
- Habitat houses are sold to partner families at no profit and financed with affordable loans.
- The homeowners’ monthly mortgage payments are used to build still more Habitat houses.
How do I apply for a Habitat for Humanity house?
- We accept applications year-round. Please see our affiliate website http://www.habitat-ajc.org/ for more details or give us a call at (608) 847 2000
How are families selected to receive Habitat houses?
- Families in need of decent shelter apply to local Habitat affiliates.
- Our Family Selection Committee chooses homeowners based on their level of need, their willingness to become partners in the program and their ability to repay the loan.
- We follow a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection.
- Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing the families who receive Habitat houses.
How are donations distributed and used?
- We rely on gifts from individuals, corporations and other groups to fund our house-building mission. All donations of any amount are deeply appreciated and help us build more decent, affordable homes with more families in Adams and Juneau county.